Connect with us

Local News

Jeepney Strike in Cebu Ineffective

Published

on

Image Source: Everything Cebu

The transport strike on Monday led by the Pinagkaisang Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Operator Nationwide (Piston) failed to paralyze Cebu City, said City Councilor Dave Tumulak.

The Cebu City Transportation Office noted that about 80 percent of passenger utility jeepneys (PUJ) were plying the streets and not a single commuter was stranded. However, the office did not give the exact number of PUJs registered in the city.

“We (city government) have not received any report of stranded passengers,” Tumulak said. “This only proves that the strike was not able to paralyze the transport of commuters in the city.”

Tumulak said the city government has prepared 15 public buses and tapped the assistance of Ceres Bus Line for the affected riding public.

“I guess we won’t be needing theses buses anymore as we have more than enough PUJs plying the streets,” Tumulak said.

Greg Perez, Cebu coordinator of Piston, which spearheaded the strike, even admitted that their protest action did not paralyze the traffic in the city.

Perez said Piston-Cebu did not intend to paralyze transport but just wanted to express their concerns, especially on the phasing out of jeepneys 15 years old and over.

Piston-Cebu, likewise, did not get the support they needed from the public as less than a hundred only joined their protest rallies in the cities of Cebu, Mandaue, and Lapu-Lapu.

Among those who joined the strike were from the Kilusan ng mga Mambubukid ng Pilipinas (KMP) – Cebu and Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) – Central Visayas.

However, Perez denied that Piston is not part of any plot to destabilize the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte, saying that the leftist groups joining the protest are just showing their support to their cause.

A retired university professor, meanwhile, commented that no cause would succeed without the public’s support.

“You can mount as many protest strikes or rallies you want. But you would never succeed unless you have the public behind you,” said the professor, who only wanted to be known as Mr. Bacalla, told the Philippine News Agency while observing Piston’s gathering along P. Del Rosario St. here.

“Those old jeepneys, most are dilapidated anyway, really have to go,” he said. (PNA)

Continue Reading
Comments

Local News

C. Visayas No. 3 with Most Number of Drug-Infested Barangays

Published

on

By

Image source: http://www.dwiz882am.com

Central Visayas came up third in the list of regions in the country with the most number of barangays heavily affected by illegal drugs.

This was confirmed by Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency – Central Visayas (PDEA-7) Director Emerson Margate on Thursday.

Margate said that according to the list furnished them by the PDEA Central Office, the National Capital Region is on top, followed by Region 9 or the Zamboanga Peninsula.

Central Visayas has 3,003 barangays and 2,229 of these are drug-affected, which is why the PDEA-7 is intensifying its operations, Margate said.

The PDEA-7 director said they are now doing every possible means to rid the region of the drug menace and asked the public to give them enough time to complete their mission, considering that they have to cover 800 barangays per year until the term of President Rodrigo Duterte ends in 2022.

Aside from their aggressive operations in apprehending suspected drug traffickers, pushers and users, Margate said they are also intensifying their proactive approaches and demand-reduction campaigns by conducting information drives and meetings or “pulong-pulong” in the barangays.

Despite the shortage in manpower, Margate said they have been able to apprehend several drug pushers. In fact, the PDEA-7 seized a total of PHP8 million worth of drugs last month, he added.

Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) Director Sr. Supt. Joel Doria said this is also a big challenge for the CCPO even as the different police stations, the Drug Enforcement Unit, and the City Intelligence Branch have been making arrests every day with no let up.

Police Regional Office-7 or PRO-7 (Central Visayas) Director Robert Quenery, for his part, said the drug problem in the region has really been a huge challenge in his leadership.

Based on the feedback of his intelligence personnel, Quenery said they have already identified all the drug dealers in Central Visayas and they would likewise intensify Oplan Tokhang.

Continue Reading

Local News

Cebu City Turns 81 Next Week

Published

on

By

Image source: http://www.everythingcebu.com

Cebu City, dubbed the “Queen City of the South”, will celebrate its 81st Charter Day Anniversary on February 24.

Greggy Senados, of the Cebu City Public Information Office, said on Saturday that several activities have been lined up for this year’s celebration with the theme: “Cebu City @ 81: Tomorrow must be Better than Today”.

Ushering in the celebration is the observance of “Arts Week” on February 19-22 at the historical Plaza Independencia.

“Arts Week” is spearheaded by the Cebu City Cultural and Historical Affairs Office (CCCHAO).

The Cebu City Agriculture Department will also hold an awarding for Outstanding Farmers on February 21 at the Crown Regency Hotel as part of the Charter Day Anniversary celebration.

The “Serbisyong Sugbuanon” program, which brings the services of the Cebu city government closer to the people, will be held every last Friday of the month. On Feb. 23, it will be at the Plaza Sugbo fronting the Cebu City Hall.

The program is regularly held in the different barangays of Cebu City, but Mayor Tomas Osmeña decided to make it one of the highlights of the celebration and hold it in front of the City Hall this Friday, Senados said.

On the big day on February 24, there will be a thanksgiving mass, flag-raising ceremony, and parade and review in the morning at the Cebu City Hall.

The recognition of Young Sugbuanon Exemplary and Action-Driven Leaders (YOUSEAL) Awardees 2018 and Outstanding Cebu City Government Employees will immediately follow after the ceremonial activities at Plaza Sugbo.

The recognition program is being facilitated by the Cebu City Youth Affairs Office.

In the evening of February 24, the Awarding of Outstanding Individuals and Institutions as well as Posthumous Awardees with Testimonial Dinner will be hosted by the City at the Cebu City Waterfront Hotel and Casino in Barangay Lahug.

The 81st Charter Day Anniversary celebration, which will be observed as a holiday in Cebu City, is spearheaded by the Office of the Mayor, CCCHAO, and the Department of Manpower Development and Placement.

The Municipality of Cebu, which was then under the Cebu Provincial Government, became an independent Chartered City known as “Cebu City” on February 24, 1937 by virtue of Commonwealth Act No. 58.

Cebu was already considered a city during the Galleon Trade as it was then called “La Ciudad de Santissimo Nombre de Jesus,” or “The City of the Most Holy Name of Jesus,” making Cebu as the oldest city in the Philippines.

Continue Reading

Local News

Capitol Launches Youth Reporters Corps

Published

on

Image source: http://www.cebu.gov.ph

Close to 80 youths from different towns and cities in Cebu province participated in a seminar-workshop organized by the Provincial Government that aims to empower the youth to take part in nation-building by learning how to be bearers of good news.

Dubbed as the Capitol Youth Reporters Corps seminar-workshop, the 3-day event organized by the Provincial Information Office, in partnership with the Provincial Youth Commission, was jam-packed with different activities.

Among the activities were discussions from speakers from the media industry who shared their expertise in their respective fields.

The speakers included Ainjeliz de la Torre-Orong for News Writing; DYAB’s Angelica Saniel for Radio Broadcasting; Vic Kintanar for photojournalism; ABS-CBN’s Joworski Alipon for TV Broadcasting; Max Limpag for Writing for Social Media; and Jason Baguia for Media Ethics.

Social media star Dave “Dodong Dave” Quirante also shared to the youth participants his experience in social media.

Marie Leolie Ursal, 18, from Barili town, said she learned a lot from the workshop, particularly on how to effectively make use of the broadcast medium.

Another participant, 20-year-old Alvin Duazo, said they hope to apply their learnings in the workshop as they look for different kinds of stories in their respective municipalities.

“We wish to replicate this in our town to level up awareness in multi-media communication,” said Duazo, vice president of the Consolacion Youth Organization (CYO).

Floreza Alpuerto, PIO’s supervising officer who represented the information office’s OIC Mark Tolentino, said the aim to have a Capitol Youth Reporters Corps is to build the capacity of the youth from the grassroots to gather, prepare, and report news according to journalistic standards.

Youth reporters who will show “exemplary diligence and commitment to delivering news about development in their localities” will be recognized monthly and in an awarding ceremony by the end of year, said Alpuerto.

In his message to the youth, Bhobby Nacorda, head of the Provincial Human Resource Management Office, urged the youth to make use of their talents and skills in the best way.

Nacorda quoted writer Ivern Ball, saying “Knowledge is power, but enthusiasm pulls the switch,” and encouraged the youth to find their sense of purpose, which in this case he said is to be guardians of the truth.

Anthony Dacalos, the Planning and Operations head of the Provincial Youth Commission, said that the activity with PIO is just one of their many partnerships with different offices and agencies to ensure that they can provide as many activities to the youth as possible.

Dacalos, who represented PYC’s head James Canoy during the workshop, assured that they have more projects in the pipeline for the youth of Cebu.

Just a week before the Capitol Youth Reporters Corps training, the PYC also launched a campaign on responsible use of social media.

http://www.cebu.gov.ph

Continue Reading

Local News

DepEd Receives Computer Equipment from BPOs

Published

on

Image source: http://pia.gov.ph

Seven schools in Cebu received the initial batch of computer units from the business process outsourcing (BPO) companies based here in this city.

This is part of the Malasakit Tech2Teach program which provides computer units to public schools in far-flung areas to help implement the Department of Education (DepEd) computer education program.

According to Engr. Roberto Varquez, consultant of the Office of the Presidential Assistant for the Visayas (OPAV), these schools were pre-identified by DepEd.

He said this initiative came up after they learned that the BPO companies change their computer units from time to time and it ended up being unused.

“We found it sayangWorkable pa ang units. OPAV thought of utilizing this,” he told reporters in an interview.

DepEd has identified the end-users as those that are in Grade levels 4, 5, and 6 since computerization program of the department is limited only to high school.

Varquez revealed that elementary schools are only provided with six computer units for their use.

The seven schools in Central Visayas are among the 20 schools initially identified by OPAV to become recipients.

Varquez said they intend to give 1,000 units for the first phase and another 1,000 units for the following year.

On Monday afternoon, the DepEd Central Visayas Regional Director Juliet Jeruta received the initial computer units from companies Tech Mahindra, Qualfon, and Accenture in a ceremonial turnover done in the presence of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte and Cabinet officials including DepEd Sec. Leonor Briones.

Continue Reading

Trending